Fletcher was first settled in 1795 when Samuel Murray decided to move his family to the mountains of western North Carolina.
His family made the difficult journey from South Carolina up the old Howard Gap Road which in areas was little more than an old Indian trail. Samuel decided he wanted to live just east of the location where Howard Gap Road ended which is very close to where Fletcher Community Park is located today. In 1827, Samuel’s son opened the first post office in the Limestone District and the area became known as Murrayville.
The Town of Fletcher, which was incorporated in 1989, is located in Henderson County, North Carolina approximately 13 miles south of Asheville. Fletcher consists of primarily level and at times hilly terrain, which is dominated by Cane Creek and French Broad River and their tributaries.
Several major roadways provide easy access to Fletcher. US Highway 25 runs north-south through the center of the Town and is the main thoroughfare for residents. Interstate 26 is located to the west and travels through North Carolina to Tennessee and South Carolina. State Route 280 enters the Fletcher from the west, and then turns to the north. The Asheville Regional Airport, located just west of Town, provides convenient non-stop service to many cities. Apple County Transit, an area bus line, connects Fletcher residents with the City of Hendersonville.
Fletcher is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Western North Carolina. It lies between Asheville and Hendersonville in the northern portion of Henderson County.
The Fletcher Parks and Recreation Department is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for the residents of Fletcher by providing positive leisure activities and well maintained parks and facilities. Fletcher strives to provide experiences that create connections between people and generate opportunities for members of our community to come together.